Pages

Wednesday 10 December 2014

Marae trip

           Marae trip
“ Haere mai,Haere mai enga manuhiri, Haere mai” Rose calls out in the beginning of the karanga. We enter the gate and the Tangata Whenua are smiling with great joy. We are told to take of our shoes so that we are showing respect to the Maori culture.

A Tangata Whenua welcome us and says a speech in Maori. “Haere mai, Haere mai, Haere mai”. We all sit down and listened to Bronson  (One of the students) do a small speech from behalf of the school. They sang a song in Maori to welcome us. We sang a song that was Mo Maria. I had thought they were going to sing the same song, but I guess I was wrong. We went in a line because we were going to do a Hongi which means a greeting in Maori. We press our forehead and nose together. Everyone had walked into the bathrooms and washed our hands because we were having our evening meal in the wharekai, our evening meal was biscuit with water mmm yum. The years 5,6,7 and 8 nibbled onto their biscuit and had already finish all their water. “ Stop, look, and listen” said Mrs Driver. We stopped what we were doing and listened carefully to what Mrs Driver had to say. “Now we are going to do the activities, year 5 and 6 boys and year 7 and 8 girls will do the poi dance and the year 5 girls and the year 6 girls will do the drawing of the Maori Ancestors”. I felt very happy to draw the Maori Ancestors. I never knew who to draw, can I draw a girl or boy. I chose a Maori leader, who is a… Girl. I wanted to do the poi dance, but I thought this was much better. It was time to go, the bus had already arrived. We had a speech on behalf before we left. Everyone went outside and put back on their shoes very quickly.

When we went back into the bus I had seen a dead cat right at the back, I was frightened. As I sat down tiredly inside the bus I thought, what a great day I had, the most fun I had was the drawing of the Maori Ancestors. I had alot of fun, if we had another trip I hope it would be a Marae trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.